SOLVED: Lachmann: The Fourth Fragment: First Beacon

I really want the numbers to help. I’ve looked at them as dates, dewey decimal codes and zip codes. So far no love.

The plaques look to me like something you would find on a door. Could the numbers be something as simple as an address? The missing words are the streets? I’m not familiar enough with NY to know if most or all of the streets are named after numbers, but are there any with words for names? Elm, State, Pinewood, etc.?

Just stabbing in the dark. I tried to tweak the plaque images in photoshop to see if the missing letters left an impression but came up empty. This feels like trying to put a puzzle together without the picture on the cover to know what it’s supposed to look like.

EDIT: The game notes mention that Lady Barleywade runs the Towers. Could these plaques indicate room numbers of important guests?If so, who lives in what room?

Well I’m pretty sure the flagpole isn’t what we’re looking for. I’m going to concentrate a bit on Central park.

My theory here is that if we take his game story and assume Brandon was living it out. The first thing he does is run across a nice, helpful person named Professor Green. Or as someone smarter than me in the other thread pointed out, probably Sullivan Green. Sullivan probably knew all about magic and explained to Brandon how to escape this world.

If that theory holds, then the next step is he finds the first beacon right outside Professor Green’s room. Sullivan Green lived in Central park. If the beacon is that close in the real world, then it has to be near Central Park.

Standard disclaimers of “I have no idea what I’m talking about” apply. But gotta try something. And I have absolutely no clue what to do with any of this otherwise.

After sleeping on it and some research my best guess is the Bethesda Fountain

Pros:

It’s in the Central Park Conservatory.
It contains a single statue with water cascading down onto a platform that houses 4 smaller humanoid statues.
It commemorates the Croton Water system which brought clean, fresh water to NYC. (Kinda a filtration system…if you squint)

Cons:
It’s a statue of an angel, and not a bearded man on top like the story.
As far as I can tell there are no plaques on it, and the 4 images on the plaques in our story have no correlation to the fountain that I can find.
Still have no idea what the numbers mean.

Been trying to work out the connection between the images: a scarab, a castle, a scimitar and dagger/knife, and a ring. I think @AlisonB is onto something with dates. Assume as this is in NY (is it?) the dates are in the US fashion - MM/DD/YY?

I think we can be certain that it’s in New York. The problem is, the fountain is inside a building, making it much harder to find. We have to find the research tower before we can find the fountain.

The Welcome Super Topic: Come Say Hello!

I’m feeling like we’re at a complete dead end here. And if this is the first thing we’re supposed to be doing (and it’s certainly possible I’m wrong about that) then we’re just spinning our wheels going nowhere.

Rereading this thread I think one underlying question we really need to discuss is how closely do we think Brandon’s story and description of Beyell’s world matches our own?

Are we expecting to find the exact thing he describes in his story in our world?
Are we assuming he got the general gist of the object, but the details differ?
Or are we assuming this veil between memory and imagination is really cloudy and out of every 10 details maybe 1 or 2 match between worlds?

I’ve been assuming it’s the middle one. If he gives 10 details about a thing, maybe 5-6 match it’s counterpart in the real world.

How closely do any of you think we should be looking for a parallel?

Or as a different question if you rather. Is there any point looking for a parallel at all?

@Robert, that’s what I’ve been thinking about all night. I don’t think it’s all literal, it feels more like Brandon was painting over the real world, which means it A) opens up the options but B) makes it harder to nail down. I agree with @Mike that we probably have to send The Devoted finished “tasks” (they mention sending more when they’re assured that we are moving along) but there are things in their emails that we haven’t figured out… elements and entities? We need a step back to look at all this and see what’s noise and what isn’t, but it’s hard to gain perspective when we have four hundred countdowns ticking on the Forest site. We need to figure out the first step, and all we know is that we have a lead on one beacon. The statue and the plaques.

Based on the clues discovered in the Audio thread. I believe this is the first beacon.

He is flanked by 4 charcters from operas first performed on the dates given in the plaques.

That’s a perfect connection. But, what do we do with it now? Assuming it is the first, do we… do anything? Do we email it to the Devoted?

I hate to help them. But let’s give them the benefit of the doubt they’d have figured it out on their own eventually anyway. Yeah, we should probably email them. Not sure if @luxisdead wants to since he has in the past or someone else would. Probably should today though if we can, or at least before 3:33 PM EST today.

That way we have a chance of getting more info during the next window they seem to communicate in.

The goal is to find and activate Neogic tracking beacon using Neogic resonator. It could be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBeacon compatible transmitter which have to be detected with mobile phone.

Neogic would mean new magic, possibly hinting at technology they wouldn’t have had in 1986. Brandon drew several hybrid robotic/organic creatures.

Worth running up the flagpole See if it flies.

@Leigha, oh how I love a pun. :slight_smile:

Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beacon_Theatre_(New_York_City) is located very close to the monument, not sure if it’s just coincidence.

Anybody want to make another thread for the second beacon? And to label this one as “Solved”? I mean, unless we are totally wrong.

You’re welcome to, but I was waiting to see if we had progress first. But we’ll need one eventually definitely.

I’ll work on gathering up all the things we know about the next beacon in couple hours, I have some errands to run. Unless someone gets to it before then.

@Robert if you haven’t emailed them already I will (sorry, just got on the computer)

No problem. @Leigha did an hour or so ago, but can’t hurt if they’re more likely to respond to you.